Friday, March 19, 2010

Why participate in Run for the Reason? - Kevin

This is my second year running for the reason. My desire to participate in this event started out simply as a challenge to myself. A goal to train and finish this relay. Due to injury I wasn't able to train like I wanted to last year, but I raised my money and I was going to participate whether I was 100% or not. So I ran and I finished with the help and support of my team, Team B (The Best Team). After spending close to 3 days with my team, it became clear to me that this run was more than just a running challenge or goal to me. It was a way that I could truly show my support for such a great organization as The American Cancer Society.

My grandmother Pauline Dooley has battled with and defeated cancer. Although she lives in Canada, the Run for the Reason will allow me to help raise money for cancer research in general and hopefully one day find a cure for this horrible disease. A good friend and even better human being, Mr. Franklin Carroll of Ozark, AL was recently diagnosed with cancer. He has been in Birmingham for treatment for several months now and his parents travel back and forth from Ozark to spend time with him so that he is never alone. His spirit and positive attitude during this trying time is definitely a driving force that will assist me during my run. I will be running in honor of both my grandmother and Franklin this year.

The Run for the Reason is obviously a great cause. But the biggest thing I enjoy about it, is that it brings together so many people with a common interest (running) and also the desire to help fight cancer. My team my first year was such a joy to run with and I am looking forward to running with them again this year. Everyone that participates in this run, whether it be as a runner, driver or any other form of volunteering shares the same passion (wanting to help fight cancer) and that passion goes a long way when one is striving to raise funds. It helps keep them focused on what they are working for and towards. There's no better reason to run than to Run for the Reason.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment