Friday, March 5, 2010

Why participate in Run for the Reason? - Lee



A few years ago I was approached to see if I would be willing to run with the Alabama Power Run for the Reason team. APC was recruiting “runners’, and I guess I fit the bill in that I have run some marathons and half-marathon (although don’t ask me for my times J). I had run a few of those for the Multiple Sclerosis society in honor of my mother-in-law so running for a cause always makes it better.

Even though I work in Atlanta, I was born and raised in LA (that’s lower Alabama for you non-natives); so I had a connection with my Alabama co-workers. Ironically after agreeing in December of 2007 to run, my mother was diagnosed with cancer in February of 2008. So that year’s run became even more important as cancer had hit very close to home. I truly had a “reason”; to run now.

This will be my third RFTR and I am even more excited. Each year brings many fun and challenging stories. The first year’s Waffle King experience in Selma Alabama has to still top the story list for me. I think you had to be there at 4:00 am. on a Sunday morning to appreciate it J.

The experience is always worth it and so worth the effort to raise money to help win the fight against cancer. Since joining the RFTR I have investigated more into the American Cancer Society and the work they perform and have been more and more impressed with the organization and what they do. They are truly helping to save lives.

That’s it for now. Back onto some training. I need to get ready for tomorrow morning’s long run…

Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment